"At the height of the storm, there is always a bird to reassure us. It is the unknown bird, it sings before taking off.” - René Char
Things to know about bird cognitive abilities :
- Crows can remember a face for years.
- Migratory birds use astronomical landmarks to position themselves in the right direction. Ornithologists theorize that they can visualize the Earth’s magnetic field.
- A magpie can recognize itself in a mirror.
- Some birds are able to use tools and even count.
- Bird brains are small but more optimized than mammalian brains.